TORONTO, July 20, 2023 – The Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations (OCUFA) recognized ten members of the academic community for teaching, librarianship, journalism, scholarship, and service to their faculty associations.
“The 2022-2023 recipients of the OCUFA Awards of Distinction showcase the great innovation, advocacy, and dedication found on our public university campuses and in the higher education community,” said Nigmendra Narain, OCUFA President. “The selected recipients are actively pushing our sector forward in exciting and innovative ways in the classroom, at the bargaining table, in research, and in the media. OCUFA is pleased to celebrate their work and contributions to our universities and the postsecondary sector.”
The recipients of the OCUFA Teaching Awards are:
- Stavroula (Roula) Andreopoulos, Teaching Stream Professor, Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Ali Arya, Associate Professor, School of Information Technology, Carleton University
- Véronic Bézaire, Instructor, Department of Chemistry, Carleton University
The recipients of the OCUFA Henry Mandelbaum Graduate Fellowships for Excellence in Social Sciences, Humanities, or Arts are:
- Mohit Dudeja (Doctoral), Education, Lakehead University
- Aqsa Zahid (Masters), Counselling and Clinical Psychology, University of Toronto
The recipient of the OCUFA Mark Rosenfeld Fellowship in Higher Education Journalism is:
- David Venn, Assistant Editor, Literary Review of Canada
The recipient of the OCUFA Equity and Social Justice Committee Award is:
- Sobia Iqbal, Diversity and Equity Committee Chair, Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty Association (WLUFA)
The recipient of the OCUFA Grievance/Arbitration Award is:
- Natasha Udell, Legal Counsel, Association of Professors of the University of Ottawa (APUO)
The recipient of the OCUFA Lorimer Collective Bargaining Award is:
- Susan Wurtele, Chief Negotiator, Trent University Faculty Association (TUFA)
The recipient of the OCUFA Service Award is:
- Mike Eklund, President, University of Ontario Institute of Technology Faculty Association (UOITFA)
The awards will be presented at the OCUFA Awards of Distinction event at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel on Saturday, October 28, 2023.
Founded in 1964, OCUFA represents 17,000 faculty, academic librarians, and other academic professionals in 30 member organizations across Ontario. It is committed to enhancing the quality of higher education in Ontario and recognizing the outstanding contributions of its members towards creating a world-class university system. For more information, please visit the OCUFA website at www.ocufa.on.ca.
For more information, contact:
Manisha Aggarwal-Schifellite, Communications Lead at email@example.com