The latest issue of Academic Matters – now available online – examines issues of sexual violence on campus, with a focus on the Government of Ontario’s action plan to stop sexual violence and harassment. Set to go into effect in January, 2017, new legislation will require all colleges and universities in the province to adopt a sexual violence policy with input from students.
This issue takes a hard look at the challenges of putting an end to sexual violence in our postsecondary institutions and makes suggestions for how we can move forward. It features several insightful articles:
- Premier Kathleen Wynne outlines the importance of working together to end sexual violence and harassment.
- Gabrielle Ross-Marquette and Wendy Komiotis share how community-based organizations influenced the development of the government’s action plan.
- Rebecca Godderis encourages faculty to play a leading role in helping to end sexual violence on campus.
- Carissa Taylor provides perspective on the challenges of confronting sexual violence as a student.
- Dawn Moore unpacks Ontario’s new postsecondary sexual violence policies.
Academic Matters is always available at www.academicmatters.ca, alongside web exclusives, blog posts, and more! The print Winter 2017 issue will be hitting faculty mailboxes across Ontario soon, so keep an eye out for your copy.