OCUFA has joined with the Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) and unions across Ontario to call on the Ford government to take action to address the crisis caused by the Omicron variant of COVID-19.
A joint statement endorsed by over 30 organizations, including OCUFA, outlines six demands that frontline workers in health care, long-term care, education, and other sectors urgently need. The demands include:
- Recall the legislature for an emergency session
- Repeal Bills 124 and 195
- Legislate a minimum of 10 permanent, employer-paid sick days
- Hold an emergency summit of all stakeholders in the health care system
- Require health care and educational institutions to provide airborne precautions
- Launch an emergency public health campaign