Policy Level A
Permanent, Regular, Full-Time Position
Deadline: 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 30, 2022
Working under the supervision of the Executive Director, the successful candidate for the Communications Lead position will oversee all internal and external communications, media relations, social media, and online and print publications. The Communications Lead will be part of a dynamic team of policy staff who work collaboratively to deliver the services required to meet OCUFA’s mandate, provide support for OCUFA’s member associations, and assist in related advocacy initiatives.
Founded in 1964, OCUFA represents 17,000 professors and academic librarians in 30 member associations across Ontario. OCUFA is committed to enhancing the quality of higher education in Ontario and recognizing the outstanding contributions of its members toward creating a world-class university system. For more information, please visit the OCUFA website at www.ocufa.on.ca.
Areas of Responsibility
- Preparing OCUFA communications, media releases, op-eds, and other materials for the media and OCUFA members;
- Providing communications and social media assistance to OCUFA’s member associations where appropriate;
- Writing for, editing, and helping in the creative development of OCUFA publications (including OCUFA Report and Academic Matters), websites, social media properties, and campaigns;
- Developing OCUFA’s communications and social media plans, and carrying them out in collaboration with OCUFA’s policy staff team;
- Manage OCUFA media relations (including developing and maintaining relationships with journalists and media contacts);
- Providing staff support for the OCUFA Executive & Board, assigned committees, workshops and conferences;
- Writing reports, speeches and letters for the OCUFA President, Executive Director, Executive members, and committee representatives;
- Working with OCUFA’s policy staff team to write, edit, and produce OCUFA policy papers and submissions to the provincial government, opposition parties, stakeholders, and other organizations;
- Representing OCUFA at meetings where appropriate; and
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time to meet the changing needs of OCUFA.
Skills and Requirements
- A high level of communication skills, experience leading strategic communications, and an in-depth understanding of advocacy, research, and critical policy analysis;
- Excellent writing ability for a variety of formats and channels;
- Ability to synthesize and present complex information in a succinct, clear and accessible manner;
- Strong presentation style and verbal communication skills;
- Graphic design abilities for the creation of visual content for publications, web and social media;
- Knowledge of the postsecondary sector would be an asset;
- A passion for and/or background in postsecondary education;
- Ability to work on projects individually and in collaboration with other staff members independent of supervision;
- Understanding of and commitment to OCUFA policies, practices, and objectives;
- A high level of computer literacy, excellent social media skills on a variety of platforms, and experience with WordPress, MailChimp, Adobe Creative Suite, NationBuilder, New/Mode, or similar platforms and software, would be an asset; and
- A minimum of a graduate degree and five years of experience in media relations, communications, and/or policy analysis (or the equivalent combination of education and work experience).
This is a permanent, regular, full-time position, classified as Policy Level A, as defined in the terms and conditions of employment governed by the Collective Agreement between OCUFA and CUPE Local 1281. The salary range for this position is $87,571.01 to $114,173.33. Full benefits are offered in accordance with the Collective Agreement. All OCUFA staff act under the direction and authority of the Executive Director.
This position is based at the OCUFA office in downtown Toronto, Ontario, with limited opportunities for remote work, and is subject to public health guidelines.
OCUFA is a unionized and equal opportunity employer that is committed to the principle of employment equity and welcomes diversity in the workplace.
Please submit your application with your resume and the names of three references to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 30, 2022.